Family of six lose home in New Year's Eve fire


Friday, January 7, 2022 - A Muldrow family of six lost their home due to an early morning fire on New Year’s Eve.


Firefighters from Muldrow, Roland, and Maple responded to the fire, which was caused by an electrical issue that started in the attic above the living room.


Matthew and Amanda Wann clocked into work as usual at 6 a.m. on New Year’s Eve while their children, ages 18, 13, 10, and 8, were at home asleep. Amanda Wann said, "We were only at work for about 14 minutes before we were notified that our house was on fire."


The couple rushed home to learn that their children were able to escape the fire without injury. Wann said, "My ten-year-old smelled the smoke and was able to get his eight-year-old brother out of the house. Our thirteen-year-old came out of his room but couldn’t see due to all the smoke, so he closed his bedroom door and climbed out the window. Our eighteen-year-old tried to get the pets out, but unfortunately, we ended up losing our family dog, T-Rex."


"Matthew and I are extremely proud of our boys and how they handled the situation, especially since they have never experienced anything like this before," Wann added.


The fire started around 6:02 a.m. and the home suffered major damage. The family's belongings were destroyed due to the soot and water damage that the fire created.


The Wanns are currently staying with family members until they are able to get back on their feet and find a new place to call home.


"We are very grateful for the small community we live in. Everyone has been so helpful and eager to help us during a time we needed it the most," Wann said.


At this time the family has been able to obtain clothing and beds for the entire family. A gofundme page has been set up to assist the family of six at https://gofund.me/2654e8b9



Lindsie Dyer, Staff Writer


For more news stories stay tuned to The MIX 105.1 or visit www.kxmx.com

Lee's 2.png
GL 2.png