top of page

One dead in Vian housefire

Monday, February 5, 2024 - A housefire that took place Wednesday, January 31, in Vian left one man dead along with a family pet.


At approximately 6 p.m., the Vian, McKey, and Rural Fire Departments responded to a residential structure fire. Upon their arrival, the home was already fully engulfed in flames. Despite the swift efforts of the fire departments, 61-year-old J.D. Butler and his dog perished in the fire.


According to officials, Butler suffered from health issues and had oxygen bottles in the home which exploded during the fire.


The Vian Police Department, Sequoyah County Sheriff's Office, OHP, Vian, McKey, and RFD Fire Departments all responded to the scene.


A final determination of the cause of death is pending from the state medical examiner as well as a report from the State Fire Marshall on the cause of the fire. No foul play is expected in either.


Lindsie Dyer, KXMX Staff Writer


For more news stories stay tuned to The MIX 105.1 or visit www.kxmx.com

Lee's 2.png
GL 2.png
bottom of page