top of page

Applications open for Oklahoma Human Services Summer Cooling and Water Assistance Programs

Updated: Jul 5, 2023

Wednesday, June 28, 2023 - Oklahoma Human Services is now accepting online applications for the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) Summer Cooling and Low Income Home Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) at


LIHEAP is offered two times a year for winter heating and summer cooling, in addition to the Energy Crisis Assistance Program (ECAP), which is offered mid-March, and life-threatening crisis assistance, which is available year round.

Eligible households already receiving assistance through Oklahoma Human Services can be pre-authorized to receive LIHEAP for the summer cooling period, which means they do not need to complete an application. Households that are not pre-authorized but currently receive assistance through Oklahoma Human Services have been notified by mail and should apply online at


LIHWAP is a temporary program created under the Consolidated Appropriations Act and American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) through one-time funding. The program is slated to end in Sept. 2023, making this the last open enrollment period for LIHWAP. It provides funds to assist low-income households with water and wastewater bills. Like LIHEAP, applications are accepted online at

  • The non-emergency water bill pay program provides assistance to eligible households with a one-time payment per open enrollment to the public drinking water or wastewater participating provider for the household.

  • The water crisis program provides assistance for the minimum amount to resolve the crisis. The total payment is capped at $1,500 maximum per federal fiscal year for each LIHWAP eligible household. The water crisis program provides assistance for:

    • Households who meet the income and resource guidelines outlined in the LIHEAP program and

    • have a verifiable water crisis, disconnected service or will be disconnected within 72 hours, and

    • the public drinking water or wastewater company is a participating provider.

In order to receive LIHWAP, the public drinking water or wastewater company must be a participating provider.

Tribal members:

Households with a member who is Native American may apply through or through their tribal nation. Households cannot receive assistance from both Oklahoma Human Services and their tribe during the same federal fiscal year.

LIHEAP payment:

Only one payment per year, per household is allowed for the summer cooling program. LIHEAP payments made on behalf of eligible households must be applied to the primary source of cooling or to reimburse for the actual cost to purchase or repair cooling equipment up to $150.

LIHWAP payment:

Only one payment per open enrollment, per household is allowed. The water crisis payment is capped at $1,500 per federal fiscal year. LIHWAP payments must be applied to the water or wastewater bill. Authorized payments may not be applied toward other services, such as trash, cable or other services. LIHWAP payments must be paid directly to a public water or waste water company that is a participating provider.

Household definition:

“Household” is defined as individuals living “under the same roof” with one utility meter.

Information needed to apply for LIHEAP and LIHWAP:

  • Most recent utility bill for their home from the utility provider

  • ID (such as a driver’s license)

  • Social security number

  • Verification of income

  • Household size

  • Available resources

  • Responsibility for payment of home energy

Households are not eligible for LIHEAP or LIHWAP if the utility bill is paid directly to the provider by someone who does not reside at the residence.

Maximum monthly gross income allowed:

Size of Household Allowable Monthly Gross Income

1 $ 1,473

2 $ 1,984

3 $ 2,495

4 $ 3,007

5 $ 3,518

6 $ 4,029

7 $ 4,541

8 $ 5,052

Persons applying should have the most recent utility bill information for their home, their ID, social security number and verification of income and available resources. For learn more or apply for LIHEAP or LIHWAP, visit

For more news stories stay tuned to The MIX 105.1 or visit


Lee's 2.png
GL 2.png
bottom of page